Sunday, April 29, 2007

I'm New to This

I've decided to join my niece and my daughter in the blogging world. My daughter, Miss Misery, practically forced this on me - I guess she thinks I need something "new" in my life to pass the time, considering I'll be 5o this time next week!

Although I’m closing in on the Big 5-0 in less than a week…I sure don’t feel that old (unless you count how my bones feel in damp or extremely cold weather). I can’t believe that my kids are growing up so fast. As most of the mothers out there know, time sure flies when you’re raising a family…there’s never enough time in a day. Even though it seems like “just yesterday we brought them home from the hospital”, in a blink of an eye they’ve gone and grown up on us and are embarking on their own lives, or are pretty much well on the way to doing so.

Our oldest got engaged last November & has been living with her fiance for several years. They bought a house together a couple of years ago which is only about 10 minutes away on the backroads. With their work schedules & busy lives we don’t nearly see enough of them, but now that the weather’s nicer I hope that will change. Our second daughter just finished her 1st year at college taking Medical Administration & is looking forward to banking some money working over the summer. One more year at school for her, then I imagine she’ll look for a place on her own once she has a real job. Daughter #3 just recently was accepted at college for Social Service Worker. It’s a two year program, but since she doesn’t drive yet she’ll only be home on the weekends. This will seem quite strange to her Dad & I since the first two girls commuted to school from home. We were able to get a nice place for Miss Misery a couple of weeks ago. The people who rent the basement apartment seem really nice and MM seemed quite comfortable with them. The bonus is that a friend of hers from her old public school will be sharing the apartment with her. They both are ecstatic that they have roommates that they know well & are looking forward to their new adventures on their own…although I know that MM is still a bit nervous about living on her own. She’ll only be about 45 minutes away so will be able to come home every weekend.

Our youngest will be 15 next month & is doing well at school. She’s been working part-time since September at a fast food joint & started another part-time job today at a kennel. Unfortunately, living in the country limits your job choices...not too much call to have tanning salons or spas on every corner! Once she’s 16, I’m sure that she’ll go for her licence immediately & save to buy a car so that she can have more choices of places to work that would be more appealing.

As for me, I went back to work in October, working at Tim Horton’s. Seemed like a little extra cash would be a good thing what with a wedding not far off in the future & two in college... and it won’t be long before our youngest will be getting ready for college herself. I started off working the midnight shift because I’m normally a night owl, but found that I missed my better half far too much & also missed out on too much with our girls. Seemed that any time off work was spent trying to catch up on my sleep. After five months of that I gave up & switched to day shifts...by then my sleep patterns were so messed up that now I have no problem starting at 5:30am. It only took me almost two months to actually sleep through the night again instead of waking up every 20 minutes. I actually have a life with my family again, which is a great thing!

3 comments:

j said...

I'm glad you decided to join the blogging world, although I'll warn you; you could come across some pretty effed up stuff.

kitten said...

Hi Debi and welcome to the blogging world. Yep, MM has it straight there are some pretty messed up people out there but some of us are pretty nice...once you get past the blogging about our childhoods, current miseries, and anything else we can come up with the write about. It's a cool way to find out that there are so many others around going through the same stuff throughout the world, not just the little portion of it we inhabit. Keep blogging, if nothing else you will find it helps keep your head screwed on straight and now you too can bitch to the whole world when someone in your family pisses you off lol.

Vulgar Wizard said...

Just wanted you to know that you've done an A+ job raising Miss Misery. I adore her!!! :)